Address: 211 Long St, CBD
Hours: 9am-5pm Mon-Fri, Sat 10am-2pm, Closed Sun
Okay, so at first glance you may think, “This Cape Town Vegan guy is all about the burgers and pizzas!”. How wrong you are my friends. The more I review the more you will find out that as long as it’s edible (and vegan) (and not an avo, mushroom or banana), I’m on it!
Orchard Juice & Health Bar is your one-stop-shop for all things healthy. There seems to be a bustling team at play behind the scenes all contributing to what was a really laid back experience which is just what this Cape Town Vegan needed. No pretence. No fuss.
I sat down to eat, in their window seat, and observed everyone from businessmen, to hipsters with their coffees in hand, to an angry mom with her two kids who all came in, grabbed their fix of daily vitamins and minerals and then bailed. It seems to be more of an order-and-go kind of place. That being said I felt totally comfortable sitting in the window seat watching the world go by. Hell – what better place than to experience Cape Town madness than on Long Street!
Their vegan menu is extensive…
- holy ka-cao bowl – orchard superfood protein bar chunks, banana, organic peanut sauce, orchard total nutrition granola, coconut yogurt, berry cream R52
- bali fruit bowl – pineapple, chia seeds, strawberry, seasonal fruit, berry cream, orchard total nutrition granola, coconut yogurt R52
- nutcracker bowl – coconut flakes, toasted pumpkin seeds, toasted cashews, papaya, orchard total nutrition granola, coconut yoghurt, berry cream R56
- orchard vegan wrap – wholewheat tortilla, quinoa, hummus, carrot, avocado, cucumber, ginger, spices, greens R48
- the manhattan salad – green mix, rocket, lentils, cabbage, cucumber, strawberry, radish, basil, croutons with a green hummus dressing R52
- east meets west salad – greens, rocket, quinoa, carrots, cabbage, red pepper, sesame seeds, peanuts, coriander, basil, pumpkin seeds (NB – specify without the dressing as it contains honey which strictly speaking is not vegan) R48
- cosmopolitan salad – greens, rocket, barley, carrots, kale, cucumber, red kidney beans, sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts w/a citrus/garlic dressing R48
- creamy carrot soup – carrot, coconut milk, onion, ginger, curry, himalayan salt, served w/rye toast (winter only) R45
- tomato soup – tomato, beetroot, garlic, green pepper, onion, paprika, thyme, tumeric, himalayan salt, pepper, basil, served w/rye toast (winter only) R45
I opted for the holy ka-cao bowl which was phenomenal. If you are new to eating raw vegan food, then this might feel like more of a dessert to you. I can personally eat raw vegan food for breakfast, lunch and dinner because I love dessert at any time of the day! The flavours were outstanding and it is surprisingly filling due to the high nutritional content. Kudos to Orchard for presenting it with a wooden spoon, however the plastic lid of the container was unnecessary as I did specify that I was going to devour it on the spot.
I probably should have eaten the smoothie bowl last, but who cares! Next was the orchard vegan wrap which was also top-notch. I try to do gluten-free where possible but fail dismally when I hear the word wrap or burger. I give in WAY too easily! #weak
Again – outstanding flavours, and filling as all hell. Only gripe was that the entire wrap (which was wrapped in paper) has a plastic wrapping over that which was (again) unnecessary. Orchard should maybe look into some alternatives as I left their joint with one empty plastic tub with a lid as well as a large plastic wrapper.
I haven’t touched on the insane amount of juices they have on offer – maybe one of you can recommend some to me once you have been.
The view is great. The vibe is perfect. The place is friendly. The food is outstanding and perfect for those interested in flirting with a raw vegan lifestyle if even occasionally.
I will definitely be returning to Orchard Juice & Health Bar in the future and hope they are around for some time to come.
As always – SUPPORT THESE OKES!