The former Melissa’s on Kloof Street is now The Deli Coffee Co. It has retained the same look and feel but has new owners, better prices and FAR MORE vegan options.
Address: 94 Kloof Street
I can confirm (having been twice) that this gem of a place is a bit of a vegan haven! I met a friend for breakfast two weeks ago and then brought Bae back for their Vegan Scrambled V-“Eggs” (R86) – 100% vegan scramble, caramelized onions, mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, potato hash brown & avocado (seasonal).
On my most recent visit, I bumped into my good friend Jessica Lazar (aka The Green Dietitian) who had ordered the same breakfast option and was blown away by the portion size.
It is fantastic to find a DECENT vegan breakfast option, especially on a Sunday morning. Coupled with a soy latte (R28), this really is the perfect way to begin a lazy day. Mind you: we did a walk along the Table Mountain “Pipe Track” afterwards, so we felt no guilt with regards to the late start to our day!
The other vegan options on their menu are as follows:
- Children – vegan scrambled v-eggs & Turkish ciabatta (R48)
- For the Avo Lovers (Seasonal) One Slice – smashed avocado & fresh lemon (R54)
- For the Avo Lovers (Seasonal) Two Slices – smashed avocado & fresh lemon
- Vegan Mushrooms on Toast – creamy wild mushrooms sauteed in coconut cream (R86)
- 100% Vegan Penne Pasta – (GF) penne pasta w/wild mushroom & coconut cream (R88)
- 100% Vegan Bunless Burger – soy & beetroot patty, potato rosti, creamy sriracha sauce, watercress & side salad (R88)
- Edamame Bowl – roasted soybeans, corn, shredded red cabbage, radish, ginger & BBQ tofu (R88)
The Deli Coffee Co also has a range of raw juices (R34-42) and a berry smoothie (R38)
I always wanted to like Melissa’s but they had never made any sort of (genuine) effort for their vegan clientele. This is definitely a step in the right direction with regards to keeping up with the growing trend surrounding plant-based options in all eateries.
There are other branches (also all formerly Melissa’s):
- Hermanus, Whale Coast Mall
- Somerset West, Shop 40, Somerset Mall
- Waterfront, Shop 6195, Ground Level, Victora Wharf Shopping Centre, V&A Waterfront
I can only vouch for the breakfast, but am really keen to try their burger and edamame bowl for lunch sometime.
Follow The Deli Coffee Co. on Instagram: @thedelicoffeeco