- 250g dried macaroni
- 1x peeled and finely diced potatoes
- 1x peeled and finely diced carrot
- 1x finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup water (preferably use liquid from pot of boiled veggies)
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked for 30min before you start cooking)
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch paprika
- Cook macaroni al dente (+-9 min). I usually add a little olive oil and salt to the boiling water. Drain, and set aside. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Bring some water to boil in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
- Place a ¾ cup in the sink with a colander on top of it. When veggies are soft enough to blend, empty the contents of the pot into the colander. That way your veggies will be drained of excess water, and you will have some of the veggie water in the cup under the colander. Place the veggies in your blender. Add the ¾ cup of cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients (cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder and paprika).
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish of your choice and taste for salt.
- Place macaroni mixture in a baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs if you wish (I used sweet potato bread from Wellness Warehouse which is gluten free) or some more nutritional yeast, and bake at 180C for 15 minutes, or until crumbs are turning golden brown.
I love trying out new recipes and hunting for the best ones out there. If you are desperate for a recipe, let me know, and I’m happy to try one out for you. Sometimes it’s difficult to find “South African” versions of vegan recipes that contain weird ingredients that have yet to touch our shores. Whether its cupcakes or a spaghetti bolognese, just leave a comment below, or send me a message via the contact page. Peace xx