It’s been a while since I have seen someone pay THIS much attention to detail when creating nutritiously balanced vegan meals. For the price, portion size, protein content and killer views, Harald’s Bar & Terrace at the Park Inn by Radisson is a winner!
Address: Park Inn by Radisson, 29 Heerengracht St, City Centre
Hours: 10:30am-11pm Mon-Sun
Executive Chef, Nigel Stemmet, explained that the owner switched to a plant-based diet when he first joined the team at the Park Inn by Radisson. Using the freshest produce from a local farm, it is clear that the spread is vegan-friendly in the best sense of the term. I haven’t seen such a well-balanced selection of foods that feel “authentically” vegan as there is nothing worse than receiving a plate of vegetables as the “vegan option” and then needing to be grateful for the “effort” an eatery has gone to. This is not the case here. I was SUPER impressed.
Their menu is self-explanatory:
And here they are in order of how they appear on the menu:
The Warm Coconut Rice Pudding was equally as delicious as the Vegan Choc Cake.
Why I like this place:
(this feels like a bullet point kind of post!)
- The experience is affordable (as far as two and three-course set menus are concerned)
- Their portion sizes are enormous (especially considering the starter is virtually the size of a main)
- Every dish is totally packed with protein and has clearly been well-thought-out in terms of the nutritional value
- Every meal feels strangely “homely” like a great pub meal, but yet healthy. I’m not being very articulate, am I?
- The view is virtually unbeatable: Table Mountain in all its glory!
If I HAD to choose between all the dishes (and bear in mind that this is just my personal preference), I’d go for:
- Lentil Salad
- Butter Bean Thai Green Coconut Curry
- Vegan Choc Cake
The funny thing is that I chose every other dish and ended up swopping with my dining buddy, Sean. He preferred the choices that I chose in the list above (his initial choices)!
The vibe feels very much like that of a rooftop bar – which sounds like a very OBVIOUS thing to say, but if this is not your vibe, then maybe come when it’s quieter – like a weekday lunch.
Great experience overall. Very impressed!